The Flow Governance Working Group (GWG) exists to set out the process and structures for verifiable, participatory decision-making and technical upgrades in key areas, including:
- Flow protocol security and performance parameters (changing minimum stake requirements, operator rewards, delegator fees, storage pricing, transaction fee rates from the tokenomics working group proposals)
- Flow Foundation treasury spending (allocating Ecosystem Development Fund)
- Flow Foundation & community management (nominating board members, appointing leadership)
The GWG is responsible for facilitating FLIPs going to vote on Flow’s voting tool: https://cast.fyi/
The Governance Working Group ensures the good governance of Flow and can only do so by constantly evolving to reflect the values of the community. The following values have served as an initial guide in the development of the Flow GWG but, we encourage anyone to submit feedback and suggestions about this approach at any time - the approach to best serve people is always evolving and we’ll do our best to reflect the best thinking around equitable access to opportunity and participatory governance.
- Tenets/Values: verifiability, longevity, (Pareto) efficiency
- Membership: the GWG is open to all, allowing representatives from the Flow Foundation, developers, researchers, community members, and industry experts to participate.
- Decision-making: the GWG exists to set out the process for other core working groups to make decisions and to lay out guidelines and best practices for other core Flow working groups to ensure standardization and efficiency.
- Meetings: Regular monthly meetings provide accountability to continue discussions, share ideas and opportunities, and make decisions.
- Documentation: All decisions, discussions, and outcomes are documented, with meeting minutes, decision logs, and progress reports shared openly for public view and commentary.
- Review and Evaluation: Periodic reviews and evaluations, including community feedback, ensure the GWG’s objectives are met. What the GWG is evaluated on and under what time scale will be an active area of Governance Working Group discussions.
The GWG determines the process by which core Flow parameters may be updated as well as other key issues which may need to be addressed. This process will be characterized by its transparency, verifiability, equitable representation from interested stakeholders, and commitment to serving the best interests of the Flow ecosystem. Exactly how that will be achieved is the starting point for the GWG.
The key responsibilities to ensure effective problem-solving in this area include:
- Soliciting feedback from samples of all Flow ecosystem stakeholders to understand how core issues impact them
- Surfacing findings and problem statements
- Facilitating discussions with stakeholders and experts to find sustainable solutions
- Collaborating with the core protocol team to determine FLIP recommendation(s) for updates required
- Facilitate vote on final proposal(s) by signing off on FLIPs when they go to vote. In this case, the GWG’s signature attests that the governance process (gathering feedback from necessary stakeholders, ensuring enough notice is given to all before changes are made, etc.) was followed prior to a FLIP going to a vote for implementation.
The GWG is always open to new members to solve Flow’s open governance problems.
Upcoming Agendas can be found here
The last Tuesday of every month at 8am Pacific Time.
Inaugural meeting: October 31, 2023 @8am Pacific Time
The invite link will be posted here prior to the call start time, subscribe to this thread for updates.