ChatGPT told me to look into FLOW, so here I am

Hi, while brainstorming an idea for a online store ChatGPT suggested FLOW might offer a good solution, so here I am :grinning:

The website will sell physical goods as well as NFTs that are linked to those physical goods. I identified multiple audiences for the store, one of those are people with no interest or knowledge about blockchain, crypto or NFT. I want them to be able to visit the website and place an order in the same ways as on any other website, without ever knowing that in the background their fiat money will be converted/transferred to a token/coin and that the product they ordered is linked to a NFT, with a contract that handles copyright, licenses and royalties.

With only limited programming and blockchain technology background, I find the FLOW learning curve is steep. But, I also see that the low (gas) costs and the Walletless Onboarding & Account Linking of FLOW, would potentially be a way to implement what I want. Still plenty of questions though, so Iā€™ll be searching and asking the forum and discord for answers.

2 Likes

Hello @FreezeM! Iā€™m glad youā€™re checking out Flow!

Flow has a lot of features that are designed to support these exact use-cases. Hybrid Custody (also called ā€œAccount Linkingā€) is the best way to get new blockchain users into Web3 without scaring them or requiring them to know anything about wallets and keys. Heck, they donā€™t even need to know itā€™s Web3 until they understand that value that brings them.

At this stage, Flow is geared towards builders that are comfortable building some key parts of their own infrastructure. Cadence makes it much easier to learn to write smart contracts (and much safer, too!), but your project is likely to require at least a few custom smart contracts.

If you are excited to learn and want to build something uniquely yours, youā€™ll find the community is excited to help you and the effort will be well-rewarded! If you are well-funded and looking for partners, I think you can find some awesome existing builders who would be happy to work with you on the technical side of things. However, if you are just want to copy/paste an existing project to get to market as quickly as possible, Flow is probably not the right ecosystem for you at the moment.

Best of luck, whatever you decide! Glad the AIs like what weā€™re building hereā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Thank you @dete. Iā€™ve split my project in 3 main milestones, based on minimum viable product deliverables. I decided the blockchain implementation will come last, so I have time to either learn enough about Flow to figure out the best approach and implementation, or decide to work with something which indeed is more copy/paste but might not fit my objectives entirely.